• question-icon

Does intake of Oxetol affect pregnancy?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Can my daughter taking oxetol 300mg twice daily for the last five years enter in to marraiage and have children?
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depend on her current seizure status. Please read below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

There are no adequate studies that show safety of oxetol (oxcarbazepine) during pregnancy. A similar drug (carbamazepine) has been shown to have harmful effects on the fetus (malformations, death).

*when was the last time she had a seizure?
*how frequent was it when she had it?
*were there any triggers or associated illnesses when she had the seizures?
*does she have any other medical issues or take any other medications?

I recommend :
-a neurologist Consult to see if she really needs medication to be continued.

-if yes, then whether dose can be reduced to suit her actual needs.

-check bloods levels of the drug to see if it is in the therapeutic range.

It is preferable to take a single drug in the lowest possible dose in order to prevent seizures. However, there is no completely safe drug for epilepsy in pregnancy. She may continue to take it, if absolutely necessary with regular monitoring of blood levels of the drug.

-take a second opinion as well just to make sure.
I suggest that she consider these options before trying to get pregnant as once pregnant, the risks of seizures are higher when medications are being altered.
In most cases, of the individual is seizure free for more than a year, medications can be stopped after talking to her doctor. In this case, she should monitor the drug levels, if safe levels are ensured, then she can on getting pregnant.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Wish you both good health. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad