• question-icon

How to wean off Bupropion, Oxetol and Clonazepam?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I wanted to check in about medication. Was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder a few years ago. Have been taking the following meds-
Bupropion- 150mg and Oxetol 300mg in the morning
Oxetol 600mg and Clonazepam .5 mg at night
I moved to a different country so could not get in touch with my doctor. Have been on these meds 4-5 years.
I did the recommend therapy and doc visits. Have been feeling quite alright in the past year. When should I taper off my medication? Should the meds be discontinued now?

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, the doses can be tapered.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HealthcareMagic,

I can understand your concern. If you are doing good and are functioning properly then I don't find any benefit in continuing medicines.

Usually, maintainence treatment is advised for 6 months to 2 years after remission of symptoms as per guidelines. You are on these medicines for 4-5 years and your symptoms are under control so in my opinion the drugs can be tapered gradually over 6-12 weeks.

Gradual dose reduction will prevent any withdrawal symptoms.

You can discuss with a local doctor there and reduce the doses by 20% every two weeks and stop the treatment completely at around 6-12 weeks.

Let me know if I could assist you further.
Thanks and Take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist