• question-icon

Is Alprazolam safe to take along with Nyquil?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Hi. I am currently suffering from diagnosed OCD and insomnia, and unofficially (personally) diagnosed depression and anxiety. I have been self medicating with a combination of generic xanax (about .6mg doses) and alcohol for the past 2 weeks, and have been noticing a growing tolerance, so I decided to self detox, but have been unable to sleep. Today I reverted back to taking a .6mg dose of Alprazolam (1/3 of a 2mg bar) to help with sleep, but it didn't work, so I also added a dosage of nyquil pills. Is this combination safe? And what would be the best way to treat my substance abuse without having to revert back to it in order to sleep and deal with my mental health issues as well?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

The combination of alcohol and Xanax is a deadly one. This can decrease your respiratory drive to the point where you stop breathing. Furthermore, detoxing outside a hospital or other controlled environment can lead to insomnia, delirium, seizures and death. Adding Nyquil can further decrease your respiratory drive and is absolutely not safe. I strongly recommend you visit an ER with plans to detox in a monitored detox unit.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist