question-icon

Is Aceclofenac advisable while breastfeeding?

Posted on Wed, 8 Feb 2017
Question: My wife had stomac pain and she took PGI (Aceclofenac+ paracetamol). We have a six month baby for lactation. Is Aceclofenac safe to take during breast feeding??
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Insufficient data.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HelathcareMagic.

There are insufficient clinical observations on using aceclofenac during breastfeeding. By this reason, safety of this drug during breastfeeding has not been established. However, since she has already taken the medicine it is advisable to give a 3-4 hours gap (from the time of taking the medicine) before she breast feeds again. That should minimize the possible intake by the baby.

In case of abdominal pain due to gastritis, PGI (Aceclofenac+paracetamol) can make the pain worse and so I would not recommend taking it anyway.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha