Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Irregular periods. Is Norethisterone safe for a 12 year old?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 158 Questions
is it safe for my 12 year old daughter to take norethisterone . she has irregular periods which are frequent?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 6 hours later

Thanks for the query.

Norethisterone is useful in regulating menstrual cycles. If taken for short duration like 6 months or so is safe and effective.

Hope I answered you query. If you have any other queries, I am available to answer them. Please accept my answer if you do not have any other queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Irregular periods. Is Norethisterone safe for a 12 year old? 1 hour later
i read somehwere where it says norethisterone should not be given to a person under the age of 18, how valid is this data and what is the safest dose for a 12 year old who weighs around 45kgs?
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 11 hours later
Norethisterone is given to young girls as well when the bleeding is more or irregular for short duration. Dose depends on many other factors , hence the exact dosage could be formulated after a detailed clinical examination.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Irregular periods. Is Norethisterone safe for a 12 year old? 10 hours later
are there any other causes for irregular periods in young girls? What sort of investigations need to be done before they can start treatment. I took my daughter to the GP in the seventh month of starting her period and she was prescribed norethisterone on first consultation. She has'n taken it yet but i just wondered if there was any other investigations to be done before going down the route of tablets.
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 4 hours later
Cycles are often irregular in young girls for initial few months. In my practice, I prescribe medicine for cycle regularisation ( hormonal tablets), if it really bothers patient. Regarding investigations ( not mandatory), in consultation with your doctor can have haemogram, hormonal assays like LH, FSH, TSH and ultrasound of uterus and ovaries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor