Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Injected rocephin and took avelox for pneumonia. Have swollen and itchy vagina. what's wrong?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5970 Questions
I have had walking pneumonia and was given an injection of rocephin last Monday and then given Avelox oral to take once a day. My vaginal area started to itch and I called my doctor and was told it was likely a yeast nfection from the antibiotics. This was yesterday and I was getting very sore yesterday. They called me inDiflucan and I toolkit last night. I noticed that my labia is now swelling and is peeling. I have never had this happen with yeast beforehand now I can't see the doc until Monday. Is there anything I can do or should I be cocerned that something else is wrong?
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.

Typical yeast infection has the " cottage cheese " white patches.
However, labial yeast infection CAN present as peeling, soreness and drying out of skin.
Antibiotics do wipe out normal flora of the genital tract, and can predispose to yeast infection.
Continue taking the Diflucan, and also use Nystatin or other local antifungal creams to provide relief.

One small possibility is some peeling skin disorder, but that should be considered if you do not respond to the antifungals and the peeling persists, and the skin diseases can be differentiated from yeast by your doctor after examination and appropriate testing.

Rarely, mycoplasma pneumonia could cause activation of latent herpes infection, and that too can be picked up on your check up.

Meanwhile, continue with Diflucan and add a local antifungal ointment too.

Meanwhile, some general pointers for vulval health :

Do not use fabric softener / harsh detergents for washing your undergarments. If you use a shared washer or dryer, such as a laundromat, you must hand wash and line dry your underwear, towels, and any other clothing that comes in contact with your vulva. .
Wear allergen free cotton underwear, not nylon or lycra etc.
Do not keep the area wet and moist for long.
Do not use bath soaps, lotions, gels, etc, which contain perfumes.
Do not use soap directly on the vulvar skin. Use warm water and mild lather, and gently XXXXXXX dry.
Do not scrub / XXXXXXX dry vigorously / douche your private parts.
Use white, unscented, simple toilet paper.
Avoid use of tampons for the time being, unless bleeding is quite heavy. Use sanitary pads with a cotton liner.
Avoid using hair removal products till the inflammation subsides. You might want to trim the vulval hair.
Avoid Lubricated/latex condoms, contraceptive jellies, creams, or sponges which may cause itching and burning.
Get your blood sugars tested, and maintain an active lifestyle with a nutritious diet.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor