Implanon to be removed. Feeling fatigue, depression and anxiety. Side effect of implanon?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Birth Control
Question: Implanon Removal Side Effects?I'm female, 20 years old, 5'8", 200lbs. I got Implanon three years ago, I haven't had it removed yet (waiting on insurance approval for replacement), but I'm past the date it should have been removed by a few days. I've been feeling very fatigued, emotional, slightly depressed, basically just not myself for about two weeks now. I've also been experiencing a change in appetite, extremely vivid dreams and a little bit of anxiety. I'm wondering if these are side effects of the Implanon wearing off, or if this is something more serious that I need to address? Any input is appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The symptoms you have described are more likely to be related to anxiety rather than wearing off effect of implanon. Usually after the due date, the implanon does not produce any effects and you need to use an alternative contraceptive preferably a vaginal spermicide or a condom till it is removed.
Feeling fatigued and emotional might be related to stress or overwork.
You need to give yourself a break, avoid coffee and caffeine drinks and have a good sleep to come over these symptoms.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.