Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Impetigo, cold sore, oozy eyes, yellowish secretion

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
My 5 year old daughter has had a cold and what looked like a cold sore below her nose developed and I am pretty sure now it is impetigo-she had it once before. Today her eyes are oozy and crusty, with yellowish goo. Can impetigo get into the eye?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 39 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

The short answer to your question is yes - impetigo or more specifically the bacteria which causes impetigo can get into the eye and create an eye infection or conjunctivitis. This is generally treated with antibiotic drops or ointment applied to the eyes and possibly to the skin on the face where the original rash was noted.

In the meantime you can apply warm compressions to the eyes and skin of the face. It looks like an antibiotic will be needed in this case to help promote resolution of the infection.

I hope this reply has been adequate and informative for you. I am available for your follow ups if needed.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor