I'm 71 yo diabetic female. Had hysterectomy when in my

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2019 in General Health
Question: I'm 71 yo diabetic female. Had hysterectomy when in my 20's chronic uti symptoms past 2-3 years, retention & urgency issues with normal urine cultures at present. have been on Bactrim some in past when cultures showed e-coli. Symptoms lessened while on Bactrim but return with vigor within 2-4 days after completion of Rx. I'm overweight and tend to get itching red weeping areas in skin folds and under breasts. very painful urination with painful spasmodic sensation in urethra. symptoms continued even though ac1 has been low as 5.0. Yeast problem? Have taken several regimens of Fluconazole. Is there any otc such as azo which may help or possibly a more effective med for yeast, if that is the case.

Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably a yeast infection, follow the advice below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your symptoms seem to be related to a yeast infection.

In diabetes the probability of a yeast infection is very high due to blood sugar level.

So, it is very important to maintain under control the blood sugar level.

I recommend you to do a urinalysis to confirm the diagnosis.

Meanwhile, I recommend you to use antifungal medication for three days. I suggest over the counter antifungal medications such as miconazole (Monistat).

I also recommend to use article inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen 400 mg three times daily.

For the spasmodic sensation in urethra you can use antispasmodic medication such as Buscopan 10 mg three times a day.

After the examination you can contact me again for further evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T