I recently had a routine test and my ESR was

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Sun, 20 Jan 2019 in Valvular Heart Disease
Question: I recently had a routine test and my ESR was 40 while the range is upto 20. Can you advise what this relates to and what are the precautions? Also my LDL is slighly above the normal range (168) but total cholesterol is normal. What should I be doing right?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed information below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you I can understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that ESR is not basically a stand-alone diagnostic test and can be elevated in a variety of medical issues. However an ESR of 40 is not very significantly high and this level is generally seen in old-age patients, arthritis , anaemia, pregnancy, seasonal viral infections like common cold etc. Here I would like to know

1. Do you have any previous medical issues?
2. Your age group?
3. Smoking habit?

And regarding your LDL levels those are just slightly deranged and there is nothing to be concerned about that you just need to follow healthy lifestyle routine that will keep your lipid profile within desired level and also consume plenty of water daily.

Hope to have been helpful.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Thanks for your prompt reply.

No medical condition
Age is 29
No smoking / alcohol habits
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
Then you need not do anything as of now as stand alone slightly high esr is of no significance.

You can repeat it after 2 months then we will see if anything needs to be done. So just relax as of now.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj