I have been in a serious auto accident about a
A fib needs anticoagulation. Neuro exam and possibly brain imaging needed.
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.
First I would like to comment on something perhaps not related to this vertigo. You say to have been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation (AF or Afib). Is one of the main causes of stroke, in order to lower the risk for stroke anticoagulant medication is necessary. Looking at your list of medications you mention Aspirin which is a blood thinner but not an anticoagulant, it is not enough to prevent stroke. So unless there is some absolute contraindication to all anticoagulants you should discuss with your doctor (whether primary physician or cardiologist) the possibility of starting it as soon as possible, someone your age with your conditions is at a high risk for stroke when with AF.
As for the vertigo or dizziness you describe....most common causes for vertigo are inner ear related conditions or brain lesions. Since you have already been to an ENT specialist who has ruled out ear related causes I would say a neurological consult and possibly brain imaging with MRI to rule out brain lesions (such as stroke, tumor etc) is necessary. If appointments take too long I would head again to the ER. In the meantime medication like dimenhydrinate or meclizine may help to alleviate symptoms.
There is also another possibility, that of anxiety playing a role. After auto accidents such as the one you describe there may be some balance issues due to whiplash injury. What happens in many patients is that psychological factors contribute to perpetuate the symptoms. That in turn increases anxiety further aggravating the situation. So that is a possibility as well. However after one year and a half it is uncommon, given also your risk factors it can't be attributed to anxiety before excluding other causes through neurological visit and imaging.
I remain at your disposal for other questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes microvascular ischemic disease?
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches
- Can Lipitor cause brain damage?
- What causes severe migraine while on Cymbalta and Xanax?
- What are the signs and symptoms of brain aneurysm?
- What does intense pain in the temple suggest?
- What causes intense fatigue, tingling sensation in the feet and leg pain?
- What causes agitation and inappropriate sexual behavior while having...
- Suggest remedies for muscle pain, dizziness and constipation when...
- Can stress cause cyanotic discoloration on the extremities?