Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

I have a burning sensation in stomach for 3 weeks. Taking Prilosec with no relief. What is wrong with me

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 922 Questions
I have a burning sensation in stomach for 3 weeks. Taking Prilosec with no relief what is wrong with me
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor’s reply. Thus it improves the satisfaction levels of both. Hence please answer the following….

1] Are your meals spicy,fermented?
2] Are you obese[Overweight]?
3] Do you smoke?
4] What is your job profile?
5] Are you stressed?
6 ]Is there history of Alcohol consumption?
7] Are you on any medications apart from Prilosec? How long are you on Prilosec?
8] Do you have history of burping and fluid coming up with burps?
9] Have you undergone any endoscopy?

Usually if the above responses are no - Adding antacid and changing from Omeprazole to Esomeprazole or Rabeprazole with Domperidone/Itopride should work.

Please do write back with the answers so that I can guide you better.

Awaiting your response.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: I have a burning sensation in stomach for 3 weeks. Taking Prilosec with no relief. What is wrong with me 46 minutes later
No to all questions. Been on Prilosec for 6 days after trying Zantac 150 and had no relief of burning. burning has been for 2.5 weeks but no other symptoms. Have energy work out everyday! I am an axious person always concerned about my health. Keep reading about h pylori should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 minutes later

Thanks for the followup query and clarifications.

I would recommend you continue Prilosec for atleast 14 days twice a day before breakfast and before dinner.

Relive your stress and anxiety by meditation or medication.

With just three weeks of history I would say no for H Pylori.

Yet if you are all the more concerned there are blood tests available to detect antibodies against H Pylori ,U may go for it instead of a Gastroscopy and Urease test.

Hope I have answered your query. please do write back if you have additional concerns.

If you do not have any further queries do accept my reply.

Get well soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor