I accidentally injected meth into areery more than once. Once

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 23 Mar 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I accidentally injected meth into areery more than once. Once I realized I was having heart symptoms. It has been 48 + hours since last attempt and I'm alive but also worried about clotting. I understand how stupid and dangerous but to go to ER would include legal ramifications. I will gladly accept those legal issues to save my life but wlplease know I have and will risk as far as possible to avoid them. I will never touch it again because I see what it did to me. Is aspirin enough or can you recomend a course of action with regard to my situation. Is it imperative to y survival and need to seek immediate attention? Please reserve all comments on to my stupidity until my current issue is resolved. Including comments section there will be plenty of time in the future to discuss my ignorance am I less than wise choices. Right now I need serious legitimate advice not just a scare lesson that will put me in a situation much worse than I'm already in. Please and thank you
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on Ask a Doctor service!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that considering the period of time 48 hours since the injection, there is no reason to panic.

You should know that this drug's effects and adverse effects are more prominent in the first 5 hours.

But, after the first 24 hours, it's circulating plasma levels are insignificant and this means also that it's adverse effects are less prominent.

So, in my opinion you should not worry about it!

I would just recommend avoiding it in the future, as it can cause a heart attack, stroke and even sudden death.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr.Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Thank you for you concise response and easing my worry of impending demise.

Is my new regimen of abstinence, asprin, rehydration and vitamin/mineral supplementation adequate mitigation?

Do I need to be concerned with clotting and my increased risk of heart attack, pulmonary embolism, stroke, renal/liver function etc. At this juncture? Or would it be advisable to simply focus on the psychiatric tribulations that accompany the abuse of this particular substance?

Clotting is of concern in my mind due to extended duration of use with substantial dehydration. My concern is that due to multiple arterial injection locations on all extremites in conjunction with the vasoconstriction and dehydration /malnutrition created a potential for the perfect storm?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I understand your concern and would explain that the main way to prevent blood clotting is to avoid meth intake.

There is no evidence that aspirin should be used for primary prevention of stroke or myocardial infarction, when there is past medical history of previous stroke or coronary artery disease.

From the other hand the mechanism underlying stroke, myocardial infarction and pulmonary imbolism after meth injection it is explained with the increased peripheral resistance from vasospasm (vessels constriction).

From the other hand, taking aspirin, when there is no previous history of stroke or coronary artery disease, may increase the risk for intracranial hemorrhage (bleeding) when coupled with high blood pressure induced by meth injection.

Coming to this point, I would recommend follow a healthy lifestyle, avoid meth intake and periodically follow up with some tests every 6 months:

- a resting ECG
- complete blood count
- kidney and liver function tests
- blood lipid profile.

An exercise cardiac stress test would help exclude possible coronary artery disease.

A doppler ultrasound of the carotid arteries would help investigate for possible narrowing of these arteries, which would show your real risk for stroke.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri