Owl Image

Hysterectomy done. Having pain after eating. Could it be a twisted intestine?

Question
I am so frustrated...I am 99 percent certain that my intestine is twisted, most likely due to the way it was replaced after my hysterectomy. I have problems with elimination since then and there is pain after eating. I have
A bulge in my abdominal area and right shoulder pain both of which are unresponsive to diet. I am an extremely healthy person who takes good cAre of myself but this is a problem. I have had two ultrasounds, colonoscopy (and she said she could not see all the way into the bowels and come back in two years ), an endoscopy, HIDA test (which did show an impaired gallbladder which I healed with Supplements), X-rays and lord knows what else but no one has actually touched my abdomen or recommended a labroscopy to evaluate the condition of the intestine.
I saw a urologist today and confirmed that it is NOT due to the bladder sling because mine is nt the mesh one that is being recalled.
As a healer I am hearing that this is a twisted intestine and it will only get worse without surgery. How do I get a doctor to listen?
Thank you
XXXXXXX
Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
I am sorry to hear you have been suffering so much after your hysterectomy. You may be right about the problem, however keep in mind that unfortunately sometimes it is difficult to get this diagnosis with tests; therefore a surgeon won't want to operate you without a clear cut diagnosis. It is fairly common to have a change in your bowel habits after an abdominal surgery, and this is due to multiple reasons, the most important ones being: you can develop abdominal scars (called abdominal "adhesions") that can "strangle" intermittently your bowels, giving you intermittent pain and constipations (a surgeon usually won't operate to cut these adhesions unless you are really sick, and unable to pass stool or even gas); and the other reason is that now that you have one less abdominal organ, there is more space for your bowel to "float" around and it can intermittently twist, and cause you to have a redundant colon, and this may be the cause why you could not have a complete colonoscopy.
A very good type of test for this issue is a special type of X-ray called Barium enema or gastrograffin enema, have you had it done? if not, you should ask your doctor about it. In the meantime, stool softeners and laxatives together with bowel antispasmodics may help temporarily.
Hope that helped!