How to withdraw from methadone slowly without any side effects?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Pain Management
Question: Hello, I was informed yesterday when I went to my doctor's office that they are weaning me off of my methadone and klonopin. They state that it is policy. I have been taking 100mg of methadone daily for over 10 years for back pain and 4mg of klonopin a day for the same amount of time.

My new dose is 25mg of methadone daily, which will drop by 50% next refill, and the new dose of klonopin is 1mg daily, which will also drop by 50% as well.

The reason for the methadone resulted from an accident at work. I have had 3 back, 2 right knee, and 1 right shoulder surgeries over a 6 year time frame. Methadone just seems to work good for my back pain.

I am very concerned about withdrawal and seizures. Is this to fast of a drop? Every drug screen I have taken(which is about twice a year) have been good. One did show a negative for klonopin and they did release me until I filed a complaint because they did not confirm the results. I know klonopin normally will not show up on most drug screens so they took my back. Now I think they just want me to leave. I have talked to other patients that take pain medication and haven't been told of this new policy. I do not know what to do. I have severe pain and have no options.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As follows

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query carefully and understand your concern. They are following the time tested withdrawal policy and trust me you will not have much of difficulty.
My suggestion would be and this may be discussed with the pain management doctor. After tapering you may follow the sequence from A-D like-
A. Kick Methadone
B. Stays clean for a week
C. Do drug tests for opioids
D. Then switch to subutex. stabilize on that for a while, then slowly taper off the Subutex
You may join Support groups, like Narcotics Anonymous or SMART Recovery, can be extremely helpful for the recovering patient.
Your brain is flexible. Just as it adjusts to opiate use and you need more and more opiates, it adjusts to the lack of opiates by making more of its own good stuff.
Hope this helps and I shall be glad to answer any further query.