Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

How to treat red rash under shaft causing itching and burning post intercourse ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
I have a rash that is red but not raised at the base of my shaft. It burns and itches especially after intercourse or masterbation in that area and on the shaft. I have have no symptoms on the tip. I am married and neither my wife or I have any STD's that we are aware of. Jock itch spray seems to help but flares up again after intercourse. Any thoughts on what it is?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 35 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

Any dermatological condition needs a physical examination for a proper diagnosis.

From the description of your symptoms your rash could be due to Dyshidrotic Eczema (Dermatitis) or a Ringworm (jock itch) infection.

Dermatitis can produce itchy, dry, red and flaky skin. The combination of heat and moisture can make eczema extremely itchy making the genital region of the body one of the most uncomfortable places to get eczema

Eczema can be treated with steroid (or corticosteroid) ointments creams.

In case of severe or recurrent ringworm infections, you may require further treatment with stronger prescription medications, such as those containing ketoconazole or terbinafine, or oral antifungals may be needed.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor