How to test for HIV?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I took a hiv blood test at the public clinic after 30 days it was negative and I also took a hiv rna test 52 days after possible exposure it also was negative im just worried and stressed should I still do more tests or am im hiv negative
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
No,you dont need to do other tests since negative RNA HIV test after 52 days practically rules out HIV infection and there is no possibility for false negative results. Even the first test after 30 days is almost 99% conclusive, but it is good that you did second testing and again, you can be sure that you dont have HIV, and no further test is required.