How to rule out rabies infection?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 2 Dec 2015 in Accident and Emergency
Question: A friend of mine was bitten by a dog during the evacuation in XXXXXXX flooding, and it is not possible to identify the dog. His father thinks the dog might have had rabies, but he cannot list any reasons why he thinks so. What treatment for rabies might be necessary? Pre or Post or full series of treatment
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post-exposure treatment needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Your friend should be treated as a rabies-exposed patient.

Post exposure treatment is necessary and this consists on four intramuscular doses of the vaccine over four weeks.

In case your friend previously undergone complete pre-exposure vaccination against rabies, two doses of a cell-derived vaccine separated by three days are sufficient.

Treatment of wound also needed.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj