• question-icon

How to rule out prostatitis?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Dear Sir,

Please see attached reports and advise me whats happening with my kidney as it looks like my prostatitis has not been cured and my CRP is on a higher side. My urea level is also on a low side. My throid profile is also not good. Can you please what should i do based on the reports. I have met earlier with one of the urologist and he said no medicines to be taken as you seems to be overtreated and let body fights it self and I am on no medicine since last 1.5 months. I am more worried about my results now. Please tell me what should I do. I know the next step is the urine culture but what else? Is this really serious?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not a serious issue at all

Detailed Answer:
.Hello
Thanks for query .I have gone through your reports and am of the opinion that you do not have serious issue that you should be worried about .

As regards your worry about low urea and low creatinine level i would state that it is higher urea and creatinine that are of concerned and signify kidney paranchymal disease .Low urea and creatinine can be detected if one is over hydrated or protein intake in diet is less .It is Urea to Creatinine ration that is important to diagnose any kidney disease .Since your Urea Creatinine ration is within normal range of 20-25 there is no possibility of any kidney disease

Since all your liver function tests are normal there no possibility of any liver disease which also causes low blood urea .

As regards abnormal thyroid hormone readings .They are on lower side of normal values which varies according to timing of collection of blood and physical activities during day .

As regards increased C reactive protein it is due to presence of Chronic infection and inflammation of Prostate (Chronic Prostatitis)

In a given situation I am of the opinion that you do not need any active treatment or may consult qualified General Physician for treatment .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 9 minutes later
Thanks so much sir for giving me hope. Can you please clarify the below 2 points based on your comments and also let me know how to calculate the urea and creatinine ration using my test results?

Did you see my urine routine report where it has mentioned about the bacteria seen and I am sure still prostratitis is there and its not going any way since last december as you are already aware about my suffering history?

1. It is Urea to Creatinine ration that is important to diagnose any kidney disease .Since your Urea Creatinine ration is within normal range of 20-25 there is no possibility of any kidney disease .

2.In a given situation I am of the opinion that you do not need any active treatment or may consult qualified General Physician for treatment .

I always appreciate your response and advise as you are the one whom i come first before going to any doctor?

My total protein seems to be normal so do you still think that I should be taking more protein to increase the urea?

I am having burning and pain while passing urine. I also checked my ration online and it looks like BUN to Creatinine Ratio Result is as following.
21.9 : 1

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your Urea creatinine ration is normal

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for follow up .

Urea creatinine ration is calculated by value of Blood urea divided by value of Creatinine which in your case is 14/0.64=21 and falls within normal range .

As you know that you have been already diagnosed to be victim of Chronic prostatitis which never gets eradicated completely you have to carry on with it and do urine culture and take appropriate antibiotics as per culture report .

I have suggested to consulted General Physician as he may treat your metabolic problems .

Increase your protein intake like egg white or red meat ,non vegetarian preparation and cereals .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist