• question-icon

How to rule out Parkinson's disease?

Posted on Sat, 20 Feb 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Can you misdiagnose wolf Parkinson's white ? If it is wpw what are the chances it comes back . My dd is only 8. We are devastated
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rare to misdiagnose. Be reassured , Treatment is possible and simple ,

Detailed Answer:
Hello I am Dr. Mody and I would be addressing your concern ,
As I start I would like to reassure you that wpw syndrome is not something that will hamper the growth of your child in any way , it's easily treatable condition in present secenerio.
Now diagnosis of wpw syndrome is pretty straight forward by a 12 lead ecg, an experienced doctor wouldn't miss it .
However I would like to say that wpw syndrome presents as episode of tachycardia ( increased heart rate) and not decreased heart rate as you mentioned your daughter has during sleep.
Now if your daughter has no symptoms and the syndrome was diagnosed on routine testing, statistics say about 50 % will develop an episode ever period of time and in about 25 % it will go off over period of 10 years .
However as a cardiologist I would like to say that if you are in a metropolitan city setup, a work up like echocardiography to rule out any underlying cardiac problem, basic blood test to rule other causes of increased heart rate and Electrophysiological study to confirm the diagnosis of wpw syndrome and number of pathways and in the same setting treating it .
As I proceed I would like to tell you that treatment of wpw can be done without any major surgery by RD ablation abated this is permanent, no risks involved with life time results, so don't worry for the same .
Let me know if any clarification needed , I would be happy to help .
Regards Dr Priyank Mody
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Priyank Mody

Cardiologist