Owl Image

How to increase vitamin D level?

Owl Image
Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

Question
Hi. This is XXXX.I have very low levels of Vitamin D3 which was found from a blood test. I was feeling numbness in the thigh part of right leg and tingling sensation for the past 8 months and so doctor suggested to go for a blood test. I am currently using ADTROL-D. Would like to know any natural ways to improve vitamin D levels. I came to know that cod liver oil capsules help a lot. Is it true? If so, would you please suggest good brand of such capsules?
Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Vitamins

Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sunlight exposure

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern with very low levels of Vitamin D3, but I would not advise you to not take any cod liver oil as it has many side effects like Hypervitaminosis A which might effect your eyes.

Continue using ADTROL-D as advised by your doctor and go for regular follow ups with him to know the improvements in the vitamin D3 levels.

You can follow these instructions which will help in improving your Vitamin D levels naturally:
1. Regular morning walk - Regular exposure to sun light every morning for 20 to 25 mins will help in production of vitamin D.
2. Diet rich in calcium like ragi, milk and its milk products, egg yolk, non veg food items like fish.
3. Fortified milk and fruit juices will also help. Please check for the contents on the pack as not all are fortified.
4. Fortified cereals will also help.

Cod liver oil can have some side effects. Please discuss regarding Cod liver oil with your treating doctor and follow up with him regularly.

Hope this answers your query. If any further questions, will be happy to help you.

Regards.