Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

How to increase vitamin D level?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 180 Questions
Hi. This is XXXX.I have very low levels of Vitamin D3 which was found from a blood test. I was feeling numbness in the thigh part of right leg and tingling sensation for the past 8 months and so doctor suggested to go for a blood test. I am currently using ADTROL-D. Would like to know any natural ways to improve vitamin D levels. I came to know that cod liver oil capsules help a lot. Is it true? If so, would you please suggest good brand of such capsules?
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Vitamins
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sunlight exposure

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query.

I understand your concern with very low levels of Vitamin D3, but I would not advise you to not take any cod liver oil as it has many side effects like Hypervitaminosis A which might effect your eyes.

Continue using ADTROL-D as advised by your doctor and go for regular follow ups with him to know the improvements in the vitamin D3 levels.

You can follow these instructions which will help in improving your Vitamin D levels naturally:
1. Regular morning walk - Regular exposure to sun light every morning for 20 to 25 mins will help in production of vitamin D.
2. Diet rich in calcium like ragi, milk and its milk products, egg yolk, non veg food items like fish.
3. Fortified milk and fruit juices will also help. Please check for the contents on the pack as not all are fortified.
4. Fortified cereals will also help.

Cod liver oil can have some side effects. Please discuss regarding Cod liver oil with your treating doctor and follow up with him regularly.

Hope this answers your query. If any further questions, will be happy to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor