How to increase amniotic fluid?

Question

Hi doctor.I've jus started my 32nd week n the ultrasound shows low amniotic fluid and AFI -7.7 my doctor had prescribed to take l-arginine which I have been taking from past ten days but there has been no increase in,the fluid. What other natural means can I do to increase amniotic fluid??? Is this a very serious situation???
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Though not extremely serious, needs monitoring.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ms. Walia,

Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

Your amniotic fluid index is at the 5th percentile value for the gestational age, i.e., low normal. Though this is not an extremely serious state, proper treatment and regular monitoring are essential to plan the time of intervention, if needed.

You cannot see much difference so soon after a treatment. As far as natural methods are concerned, please take plenty of fluids, improve protein diet and take adequate rest.

Intra-amniotic infusion and infusion through amniocentesis which is rarely followed now-a-days, are methods used to improve the liquor volume.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: How to increase amniotic fluid? 15 hours later
Thank u doctor. But also increasing fluid intake is causing more frequent urination. How can I retain fluid in my body if I'm constantly using the washroom after I hav water.?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not everything is lost.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

It is true that you need to urinate more often if you increase the intake of water. This is a natural reflex, but, this also means that you are well hydrated and this hydration helps to increase the amount of liquor as the maternal concentration dips.

So, please continue taking good amount of liquid and please remember, not everything you take is lost through urine, some is retained in the body.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.