How to handle a hyperactive kid?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Question: I have a 3 years 9months old kid (boy) who is hyperactive. He doesn't seem to listen to us while we speak to him at times. He doesn't have the patience or attention to listen to more than a minute to concentrate on play way school work. He requires more than 2 people to take care of him. Are there foods like chocolates that should be avoided for hyperactive children? What are those foods that can be best for a child of 3 or 4? How to do we handle hyperactive kid?
Answered by Dr. Arun 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Definitely avoid sweets and chocolates Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. Kids at 3 to 4 years are generally very active. If they are hyperactive compared to other kids of same age and not attentive at all, then you need to start them on some strategies like 1. Avoid sweets, chocolates, sugar containing candies, pastries, ice cream. The reason sugar stimulates cortisol which is a stress hormone and can cause hyperactivity. You can give oranges and peaches which are rich in vitamin c, all vegetables and fruits can be given but with little added sugar if given as juice. Avoid night time sweets . Any multivitamin supplements like zincovit 5ml per day would definitely help. 2. Sleep is very important. A tired child will develop hyperactivity . 3. Ensure he doesn't have any hidden infection like ear infection, which can be irritating to him and could be one of the causes for hyperactivity. 4. Reward him if he obeys simple tasks like sitting properly when asked to sit or listening to your short story fully from the start. If he is not obeying make sure you don't scold him , remove him calmly and try again later. Tell him other kids are behaving well. Start with these tips , you should be able to see a difference soon. If not your kid needs psychology assessment at 4 years. Medications are not to be given without proper evaluation and monitoring Regards Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad