How to get rid of nicotine stains on teeth?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 12 Nov 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had black colour nicotine stains on my tongue due to chewing tobacco
as soon as I found that I quit tobacco but stains not going
I consult doctor about it and doctor said it will take much more time
please consult me or suggest any way for remove it
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nicotine stains, yes it takes a few weeks to resolve..

Detailed Answer:
Hi...
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns...

As per your complain due to long term tobacco chewing the tongue might get stained due to nicotine present in tobacco.
Along with it due to changes in the bacterial flora in the mouth there is increased bacterial overgrowth leading to dark coating on tongue..
The stains cannot be removed overnight and can take a few weeks to reduce.
You can use a tongue scraper and scrape your tongue gently daily after brushing you teeth.
Make a solution by mixing 1:1 concentration of hydrogen peroxide and water and gargle with it.
You can also dip a soft toothbrush in this solution and gently brush your tongue..
Eat more of raw and hard foods like carrots,apples and other hard foods as it helps in cleaning tongue by friction..
Drink plenty of water..
Gradually you will see improvement and the 5ongue staining will reduce..

If you have any other questions you are most welcome..
Wishing you a good health..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj