How to get rid of foul smell during period?

Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hi I'm XXXXXXX I want to ask how to get rid of foul smell during my period it is very bad.
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

The foul odor during menstruation is not normal, it is either due to an infection in the vagina or in the cervix.

Infections of the vagina include fungal infection or trichomonas. These are usually associated with itching, redness and burning in urination.

The other possibility can be inflammation and infection of the cervix which can present with foul smelling discharge associated with or without menstruation. Also pain and bleeding during intercourse can occur.

I suggest you to consult a gynecologist once you finish your periods. An XXXXXXX examination is a must to rule out infections and treat them accordingly.
Also considering your age, cervical lesions need to be ruled out for persistent foul smelling discharge. This is best done by examination and PAP smear.

Annual PAP smear are a must in all sexually active females so you need to get one if you have not done in the past one year.

To avoid infections, it is a must to ensure proper perineal hygiene by frequent changing of tampoons,undergarments and proper washing of the area with water after using toilet.