How to counteract the Depo- Provera shot?

Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 24 May 2014 in General Health
Question: Is there ANY WAY to counteract the Depo-Provera shot? I got my first and only shot April 22nd, and my period is has been 8 days long, I am getting headaches, confusion, and depression from time to time, and sometimes, the depression stays for a while. I feel absolutely horrible. I hate the irregularity, and I also hate what it is doing to my body. I want to switch to a birth control method that gives me a regular period, but also protects me from pregnancy. I am horrible with remembering pills, though.
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Time, consider IUD

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query. Unfortunately, it will be a tincture of time the remedy for your body to gradually metabolize the deposit medication, there is no "antidote"; the concentrations will fall off gradually if no more injections are given.

You may want to consider an IUD, copper, not necessarily coated with hormones; if well tolerated, it is practically as effective as hormones, but cheaper on the long run, no need to remember appointments, or pills. If you have one established "clean" partner, it is very good, but if you have severela partners may be a problems as it does not protect against STD's

Hope this helps, wish you the best,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN