How should I use mifepristone 200mg?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Question: in cipla abortion kit 1 tablet of Mifepristone 200mg and four tablets of Misoprostol…200 mcg, i used 2 tablet of Misrprostol in the morning. do i need to take moe
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 40 minutes later
Thank you for posting a question.

In cipla abortion kit, there is mifepristone and misoprostol. Of these the mifepristone is the main abortive drug. Misoprostol just enhance the uterine contraction and help in the abortion.

So, firstly you have to take the mifepristone. After one to two days, you have to take the misoprostol drugs intravaginally. You can have 2 misoprostol tablet intravaginally and repeat it after 4 hours.

As you have already taken 2 misoprostol tablet, you have to take 2 tablets intravaginally again after 4 hours.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 13 minutes later
I have taken 2 misoprostol tablets their is excessive bleading due to that please advice whether i need to take anther tablet or not
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 10 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

If you are experiencing bleeding that means the process of expulsion has been started.

So, right now, you do not need to take the another two drugs.

For your information, be cautious of excessive bleeding. It is one of the most common side effects of this kit. If you experience unbearable bleeding, or heavy bleeding for more than 7 days, you must consult a gynecologist immediately. Because in those conditions, manual evacuation is indicated.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later
I am feeling bleeding which is more than my normal periods. Do i need not to take the two drugs, or i need to take these drugs after one day or so. Please elaborate the process and also i bleeding stops do we need to consult a gynecologist for getting sure of the abortion. Or else what we can do to get ensured of abortion.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 14 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

As I have told previously, you do not need to take the drugs,not even after 1 day.

Look, these misoprostol drugs are required to initiate the bleeding. As you have already started bleeding which is more than your regular period, then you have no reason to take these 2 drugs. It is given in the kit for individuals who do not experience bleeding even after taking 2 tablets. In some cases, patient needs more than 6 tablets to initiate bleeding.

So, DO NOT TAKE THE 2 MISOPROSTOL DRUGS.

After stopping the bleeding, do an ultrasound scan of whole abdomen. It will definitely give information about completion of the abortion. It is the gold standard investigation in this condition.

Regards.