• question-icon

How long do the withdrawal symptoms of Suboxone and Oxycodone last?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Drug Abuse
Question: Yes!! Thanks. My husband was on suboxone for about 5 years...2mg. He recently had back surgery and about two weeks before surgery his pain doctor switched him directly from 2mg suboxone to oxycodone HCL 10 mg. His surgery was exactly a week ago. His last oxycodone was taken six days ago. He has had restless leg that just comes and goes for the past two days and a little diarrhea but not too bad. He really does not want to get back on either the suboxone or the oxycodone. I know that coming off of suboxone is more difficult than coming of of a low dose of oxicodone. What I am wondering is if he is experiencing withdrawals from the suboxone or the oxicodone and depending on your answer about how long do you think these withdrawals will last??
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

This does not seem like withdrawal to me. Opioid withdrawal consists of diarrhea, sweating, tremor, and sleeplessness. Leg shaking alone does not sound like withdrawal. If he were to experience withdrawal, it should not last more than 72 hours.

Please remember to rate and close this answer when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist