How long do enlarged lymph nodes last in seroconversion?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: worried sick... I had a recent possible exposure to hiv with a woman of unknown status who I found out was an intravenous drug abuser .. was on pep but not sure if it helped.. now having about two weeks of swollen lymph nodes in neck and elbow. . can this be seroconversion? ??
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care, wait and see

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. If your post exposure prophylaxis started with in 3 to 5 days of exposure than i am sure it would have helped. Also with just two weeks its hard to get the signs and symptoms of HIV. Even most sensitive tests can wait up to 24 to 42 days so i am afraid you will have to wait for that. Its good that you got prophylaxis. Should reduce the odds of infection.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 8 minutes later
I meant for the last two weeks I've had these symptoms. .. but my possible exposure was in may.. I was on pep for 28 days and been of of it for a month and now these symptoms
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not seroconversion, no worries

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me and pardon my misunderstanding

With exposure in may and PEP done for 28 days in time, i believe these swollen nodes have nothing to do with HIV or seroconversion as sero conversion means infection and happens in early 2 or 3 weeks after exposure most of the time. To get that confirmed, you may request another HIV test for antibodies and if they dont get detected its neither infection no seroconversion and other possibilities should be looked for.

i hope it helps.
Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 15 minutes later
well this is about 3 or 4 weeks since pep
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No worries

Detailed Answer:
Seroconversion happens after 2 to 3 weeks exposure to the suspected HIV infection not pep. Please get your worries soothed out by requesting a 4th generation HIV antibodies tests for detecting HIV and if those come negative you have nothing to worry about.

I hope it helps.
Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 53 minutes later
every one says not to worry but these symptoms do not seem coincidental. ..
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
no worries

Detailed Answer:
With normal work up , i would say like any one else, not to worry . But as your concerns are highly important to us, that is why i would suggest to get your worries soothed and have another test scheduled . Also think positive. Like no doubt IV drug abuse is a high risk for transmissions of infection, but it does not necessarily mean she had it. She may not be infected in first place. Its anxiety, you need to relax.

I hope it helps.
Take care XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 hours later
yes.. but since last time I've seen her.. she has passed away..and I doubt anxiety can cause lymph nodes to swell
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not HIV

Detailed Answer:
Lymph nodes swelling has thousand of causes in neck. A simple flu and cold can cause lymph node swelling. Please let the doctors focus on more specific measures to rule out any suspected condition. Getting self diagnosed with help of confusing internet literature will lead to no good. I reassure you your chances of getting HIV with all the results negative so far are almost zero, with in 24 to 42 days since exposure test results are almost conclusive so negative till then means negative and no HIV.

I hope it helps.
Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 minutes later
yes.. but I was on pep which can delay seroconversion
Brief Answer:
Anxiety and nothing else

Detailed Answer:
Please contact your doctor and get the worries soothed. I am afraid you have been overwhelmed by internet self diagnosis disease and you wont listen to any doctor trying to reassure you and guide you. As i mentioned already and i will request again to please do as directed by your doctor. After 3 months of exposure, one antibody test will settle whether its HIV or not. Forget about seroconversion. Let the doctors do their job. I am sure thats not too much to ask. You are putting yourself through unnecessary trouble and anxiety which is not worth it.

Khan