How long can sperm live in the urethra after ejaculation?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: What happens to semen that is in the urethra after ejaculation. Does the sperm live long in the urethra if no urination?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sperms in urethra dies immediately.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to health care magic,

Sperms left in urethra which contains slightly acidic medium,dies within minutes, so there is no chance of their long time survival in urethra.

Also,semen containing sperms, if they get dried on any surface or clothes or even bed sheets will become non viable or dead in few minutes.

Hope this will help.You can contact me again anytime, if you need anymore clarifications or further assistance in future.

Dr.sandipkabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 16 minutes later
Thank you. I did take a sample of pre cum after ejaculation which normally for me doesn't contain sperm after I pee. But it contained about 4 or 5 that did swim not very well but did contain several dead sperm no more than 100 at best. Pose a risk for pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
chances of pregnancy would be very rare.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the quick reply,

I understand what you are trying to say.

Pre cum or per-ejaculate semen may contain sperms but in very low quantity and even lesser living sperms.

Theoretically it only takes only one sperm for a pregnancy to occur but mathematically, it needs to inseminate with millions of sperm to make pregnancy a possibility because the journey that a sperm must travel to reach the fallopian tube and fertilize an egg (ovum) is a long course and also extremely hazardous because of the acidic medium inside vagina.

So,the chances of pregnancy would be very rare from sperm contained in pre-cum or pre-ejaculate fluid.

Also,it is very difficult for sperms to survive in urethra which has acidic medium,so by this way also it would be very rare for a pregnancy to occur from pre-cum (pre-ejaculate fluid) or residual seminal fluid after ejaculation.

Hope it will clear to you now.