Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

How is glossitis treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 662 Questions
Hi, I’m 25 years old. Since the past few days I have been with dry mouth, I get very thirsty, practically unstoppable till am over full. I have various red circle spots on my tongue. And have phlegm on my throat which is very hard to get rid of.
It doesn’t hurt; I can swallow and taste well.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 6 hours later

Thanks for the query.

You are suffering from a minor entity called as Glossitis, it is a benign inflammation of tongue, secondary to some irritating factor like any drug, trauma, mineral water, occasionally viral, tobacco use in any form.

The treatment of this condition includes the following--

1- Quit any form of tobacco, or alcohol use(if you are taking it)
2- Avoid to take mineral water.
3- Drink plenty of water.
4- Avoid very hot food.

These were the general measures, now coming up to the specific medical treatment....

1- Apply some astringement locally over the tongue.
2- Take vitamin and mineral supplements.
3- Do betadine gargles, diluted with water at least 3 times a day.
4- Deworming drug single shot like albendazole 400 mg stat.
5- If you have sore throat like features in addition, then take a minor antibiotic.

Don't worry, it is a very common condition, and you will be all right in next 7 days, please just follow the above instructions.

Hope this will help you and I am available for the follow ups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor