Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

How is chronic folliculitis treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I have been diagnosed with folliculitis on my buttocks by a Mayo dermotologist. Am using clindamycin phosphate lotion now. Helps, but no cure. A chiropractor suggested using a tanning bed, that the black light would kill the bacteria.........sound possible?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus (staph). Folliculitis on buttocks is usually due to plugged sweat glands that become infected or by an ingrown hair.

Using tanning beds has no dramatic effects on treatment of folliculitis and sometimes tanning beds may worsen the condition. Hence it is not advisable to use tanning beds when you have folliculitis or boils. As far as the treatment is concerned, apply warm compresses and keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics.

Also avoid wearing tight fitting clothes and wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and underwears. Wash the area well with an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. Continue with Clindamycin which you have been prescribed as it is an oral antibiotic and is helpful.

If the symptoms worsen then get your blood sugar levels checked as it may cause recurrent and chronic folliculitis and boils.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor