• question-icon

How is chronic folliculitis treated ?

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have been diagnosed with folliculitis on my buttocks by a Mayo dermotologist. Am using clindamycin phosphate lotion now. Helps, but no cure. A chiropractor suggested using a tanning bed, that the black light would kill the bacteria.........sound possible?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 minutes later

Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus (staph). Folliculitis on buttocks is usually due to plugged sweat glands that become infected or by an ingrown hair.

Using tanning beds has no dramatic effects on treatment of folliculitis and sometimes tanning beds may worsen the condition. Hence it is not advisable to use tanning beds when you have folliculitis or boils. As far as the treatment is concerned, apply warm compresses and keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics.

Also avoid wearing tight fitting clothes and wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and underwears. Wash the area well with an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. Continue with Clindamycin which you have been prescribed as it is an oral antibiotic and is helpful.

If the symptoms worsen then get your blood sugar levels checked as it may cause recurrent and chronic folliculitis and boils.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Jasvinder Singh