Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

How is blood pressure controlled through diet and medication ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
I am a 46 year old male who takes medication to control my high blood pressure, however my blood pressure right now is 167/112, but I feel normal and fine, should I be worried?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 30 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Blood Pressure readings keep on fluctuating throughout the day and it depends on various factors as during morning hours, after exercise, food, stress etc.. it is generally on the higher side. The readings which you have mentioned are definitely on the higher side.

I will advise you to keep monitoring the BP for a day and if it does not drop down even after taking regular medications or increases then consider visiting ER for evaluation even if you do not have any symptoms.

Meanwhile avoid any stress, anger, exercises, processed foods, smoking and alcohol.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How is blood pressure controlled through diet and medication ? 7 hours later
Thank you for your response Dr. Mitaly.

what do you mean when you say avoid "processed food"?

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up

Processed food is any packaged,real food material that has been refined and preservatives have been added to increase its life.Since they contain added salt and are devoid of natural ingredients and fibres they can further increase the Blood Pressure, so kindly avoid having them.Instead prefer freshly prepared food.

Wishing you Good Health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor