How is HIV transmitted?

Dr. Matin Ahmad Khan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I had an encounter with another male and we did not have sex, but some blood from his anus came on the bottom of my penis. There are no visible cuts there, but the penis had been massaged vigorously and was tense. How high is the risk of HIV or hepatitis transmission from this contact?
Answered by Dr. Matin Ahmad Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anal frottage no risk for HIV or Hep B

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,thanks for posting the question . I am Dr Matin and will be happy to answer your query.
genital rubbing( even it is vigorous) is called 'frottage' and is not considered a risk for HIV or Hep B transmission. With intact skin ( assuming there were no visible cuts) either viruses can't enter in your body. Without actual penetration (with or without ejaculation) transmission in this scenario would be very unlikely.
However other STDs (like HPV , Genital warts, Scabies) may be transmitted by direct contact.
So 'condoming' any and every 'sexual activity is always recommended .
Hope this helps.
You can revert with any question if you feel so.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Matin Ahmad Khan 6 hours later
Thank you doctor. There are no visible cuts, but the penis has felt slightly irritated.
Answered by Dr. Matin Ahmad Khan 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
direct prolonged exposure+ large deep wound= HIV

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your response.

HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. Ground rule is as long as there were no wounds, cuts or sores on your penis, there is no way for HIV transmission to occur. Even then, a cut risks HIV only if it is large, deep and actively bleeding.

In your case not even visible cuts were there, leave aside a large/deep actively bleeding wound (only irritation of skin does not qualify).

So you get your answer. Be happy and safe.

Hope this helps

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj