Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

177 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How is HIV transmitted?

Answered by
Dr. Matin Ahmad Khan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Practicing since :1987

Answered : 298 Questions

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I had an encounter with another male and we did not have sex, but some blood from his anus came on the bottom of my penis. There are no visible cuts there, but the penis had been massaged vigorously and was tense. How high is the risk of HIV or hepatitis transmission from this contact?
Answered by Dr. Matin Ahmad Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anal frottage no risk for HIV or Hep B

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,thanks for posting the question . I am Dr Matin and will be happy to answer your query.
genital rubbing( even it is vigorous) is called 'frottage' and is not considered a risk for HIV or Hep B transmission. With intact skin ( assuming there were no visible cuts) either viruses can't enter in your body. Without actual penetration (with or without ejaculation) transmission in this scenario would be very unlikely.
However other STDs (like HPV , Genital warts, Scabies) may be transmitted by direct contact.
So 'condoming' any and every 'sexual activity is always recommended .
Hope this helps.
You can revert with any question if you feel so.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Matin Ahmad Khan 6 hours later
Thank you doctor. There are no visible cuts, but the penis has felt slightly irritated.
Answered by Dr. Matin Ahmad Khan 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
direct prolonged exposure+ large deep wound= HIV

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your response.

HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. Ground rule is as long as there were no wounds, cuts or sores on your penis, there is no way for HIV transmission to occur. Even then, a cut risks HIV only if it is large, deep and actively bleeding.

In your case not even visible cuts were there, leave aside a large/deep actively bleeding wound (only irritation of skin does not qualify).

So you get your answer. Be happy and safe.

Hope this helps

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on Wart

doctor1 MD

Hi. Last Thursday I had a wart like growth removed from the top of my yead. The drs office called Tuesday and said it was Squamous Cell Circoma. I'm scheduled to have surgery to remove remaining tissue the 26th of this month. I think the size was 0.5 or .05, can't remember as my mind was racing. My question is how can I be sure that this same type or any other cancer is present in my body? I do not have insurance and this will be self pay. Due to my heart birth defect (my heart is reversed) insurance is very expensive and I honestly just can't afford it. I've tried to get it before but the premiums are higher than my rent. Thank you.

doctor1 MD

I have wart looking tags on my tongue..I also have a white patch on my right tonsil..I have also had a kidney infection with ammonia smelling urine..Today I started coughing up black strings of phlegm..I also have a feeling of a lump in my throat..Please tell me what it is..

doctor1 MD

I have Crohn s disease. As a side effect of meds and a depressed immune system , I tend to have warts . In the last couple of weeks I have developed what I thought was another wart on my right hand . However, it has grown to about 1/2 , is red, swollen, painful and has a bit of a crusty top. Any ideas? (I am on a cancellation list for my skin specialist)

doctor1 MD

I have a question about genital warts. my fiancé found out he has genital warts and we have not done anything due to the fact I have been scared of it but we have been sexual before we knew what it was. I have not shown any signs but on my pant line in the front I have noticed a big purple looking bump to me it looks more like the color of a bruise. my question is could it be a genital wart being up that high?

doctor1 MD

What kinda of infection or rash accures when you have unprotected sex with a woman who has had a miscarriage and cervical cancer .

doctor1 MD

What causes bumps in pubic area in men? The bumps looks like acne and folliculitis but without any pus

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, May I asked how Long does it take for a Herpes lension to go away after a patient took the Oral anti viral medication with cream. How to tell if a Herpes lension is in the healing process. What does it look like virtually? I have a...