How high do bilirubin levels have to be to become life-threatening?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi My wife who is 59 as Bilirubin level of 194 she has no gall bladder but gallstones in her liver ducts she is in pain around the stomach area especially when she goes to the toilet she is severely jaundiced at what bilirubin level would she have to reach before her liver function becomes life threatening oh and her blood pressure is low
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please provide the unit in which bilirubin is measured.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for asking your query on HealthcareMagic for your query,
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns,
Firstly dear bilirubin level more then 3mg/dl is considered as clinically important. As per the details given by you its 194?
Kindly mention the unit used by your lab with normal range because if i consider it in mg/dl(used usually)its not possible to survive at such high levels of bilirubin.
I think that its 19.4 or 1.94?

Please revert back immediately so that I can give you further explanation.
waiting.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana