How fast can rheumatoid arthritis progress?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Lupus
Question: Just diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. All blood tests had extremely high numbers & of course were all positive for RA. Also diagnosed with fibromyalgia. How fast can RA progress? Prescribed methotrexate to slow it down. I have lots of pain from feet, also. I am 52 and they think I've had this for about 8 years.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It will be controlled.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that you have been prescribed the right treatment , methotrexate is the drug of choice but you havent mentioned the dose on which you have been put as it should be started at a dose of 15 mg per week to have good response .

Its full effect comes in 2-3 months and it significantly halts the progress . Till then you can take antiinflammatories like ibuprofen that you have been prescribed .

Any other query please ask.

Dr. Shruti
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 4 hours later
Methotrexate 2.5 mg. for 5 days per week. I have awful side effects which prevents working some days. Also, 3 years ago had Raynaud's which caused frost bitten toes, so I have little feeling and what I do feel is always numb and tingling. Also, have the chronic dry eye caused from the RA. I'm not supposed to go back until December should I call to tell them that I am unable to take the Methotrexate? The RA and the Fibromyalgia is wreaking havoc on my body and very quickly.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thanks for reverting back.

Well I think you should call and tell them that you are intolerant of methotrexate . I think then they will consider another DMARD like leflunomide , hydroxychloroquine etc . Also they can consider short term steroid course also to control the disease . For fibromyalgia they should consider starting amitryptyline or fluoxetine , which will modify your pain sensations.

Also I will advise you to get nerve conduction velocity of all 4 limbs to see what is the cause for tingling and numbness in limbs.

Dr. Shruti