How does the diathesis-stress model relate to a sexual aversion disorder?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Sexual Problems
Question: How does the diathesis-stress model relate to a sexual aversion disorder?
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Sexual aversion disorder is a good example to illustrate the diathesis-stress model. Like most psychiatric disorders, genetic factors play a role in the causation of sexual aversion disorder. In other words, certain persons have a genetic vulnerability to develop this disorder (i.e diathesis). However, this genetic vulnerability, by itself may not be sufficient to result in this disorder. Often, evironmental factors (i.e. stress) get superimposed on this pre-existing genetic vulnerability, thereby resulting in this disorder. For example, environmental factors like:
- past traumatic experiences like sexaul abuse or rape
- repeated negative sexual experiences
- relationship problems such as mistrust or conflicts
- financial or vocational stress
- family problems and absence of a conducive environment at home

...can interact or combine with the pre-existing genetic vulnerability to produce this disorder.

The relevance of the diathesis-stress model is reflected in the management approach to this disorder. A bio-psycho-social approach - where medication may be given for the underlying biological disturbances as well as a psycho-social approach by means of counselling and psychotherapy, to handle the environmental factors - yields best results.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist