How can severe acid reflux be treated?

Posted on Sat, 26 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Acid reflux so bad that I feel like it is making my head head and ears warm. I have to sit up at night and it feels like my throat is full of bile. I also have it to come up and have to throw up
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

What you are describing sounds rough. At this point you may need something stronger than Zantac (I assume you've tried 150 mg twice a day for at least several days) and over the counter Prilosec. I recommend you go in to see your doctor who may give you a prescription medicine such as Pantoprazole.

In addition, if you are not making lifestyle modifications to deal with gastroesophageal reflux, here are suggestions:

1. Avoid mint as it relaxes the lower esophageal "sphincter".
2. Avoid spicy foods and very greasy foods.
3. No alcohol or tobacco
4. Avoid acidic foods such as citrus and tomatoes
5. Raise the head of your bed up on blocks. This prevents you bending at the waist which can increase abdominal pressure (therefore allowing reflux) that sitting or using increased pillows will do; but if this is not tolerable yet, then do sit up.
6. Don't eat 2-3 hours before bed.
7. Avoid large (or even regular size) meals until you are better. Instead eat small amounts throughout the day. Distending the stomach with large or average amounts of food increases acid production and pressure that can result in reflux.
8. No NSAIDs. So... no aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen.
9. See if certain foods make the problem worse and avoid those.
10. If you are overweight, losing even a few pounds can decrease the intra-abdominal pressure that can make reflux worse.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh