Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

How can persistent soreness of upper back, shoulder and lower neck muscles be treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12679 Questions
For 3-4 weeks I have had soreness in the muscles of by extreme upper back, shoulder and lower neck- all on the right side- and now I have tenderness of and swelling around the right clavicle. I am 59 years old, very good overall physical condition, a frequent and vigorous exerciser. Hgt- 6'1'/wgt- 200 lbs.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

The pain on the upper back, shoulder and neck restricted to the right side only with swelling of clavicle is suggestive of following possibilities-

1. Cervical spondylosis- due to age related degenerative changes in the cervical spine. An X-ray of neck in lateral view will help in the diagnosis.
2. Inflammation of sternoclavicular joint- can be due to injury or stress due to exercise.
3. Ligament / muscle pull.

All these conditions need a careful examination by an orthopaedician for diagnosis along with some investigations like X-ray of shoulder joint and some blood investigations to rule out any infection.

Meanwhile give rest to your shoulder joint, avoid using a pillow, take a pain killer like acetaminophen, and wear an arm sling and use a cervical collar for relief.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. If you have any more concerns, I will be available for follow up.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor