How can constant itchy throat be treated?

Question
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX Gibson had advised me to try an allergy medicine with Decongestant because have been itchy throat for about 2 months now. I do have an appointment with allergist on the 30th. Anyway my symptons seemed a little better wasnt itchy at night, but during the day for a few hours. I have been taking Zyrtec D since last Monday. Yesterday was a very bad day and night very itchy and still itchy now. Should I stop the Zyrtec D. I was also flushing my nose with salt water and baking soda solution twice a day & Flonase once a day after flush.
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
can consider another option

Detailed Answer:
HI

It is possible that you may have been exposed to an allergen yesterday that worsen your allergies

Yes, if you are not having any effective response now with the zyrtec d then you can discontinue and see if another brand would be better for you eg allegra d, benadryl d, claritine d.

Also , if very itchy, may need a very short course of oral steroids (for 2 to 3 days) to decrease this immune response or add a medication such as ketotifen or montelukast. These work at different points in the allergic reaction

When you get to the allergist, he or she would be able to tell you what to avoid.