How can chronic perforation with hearing loss be treated?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am sponsoring a young man in Kenya. His reports say he may have a chronic TM perforation, and is now complaining of moderate gradual hearing loss. He tells me his ears occasionally drain. He longs to be a civil rights attorney helping women and children in Kenya. Is there any treatment for chronic perforation with hearing loss? If I brought him to the states, with no insurance, how much would a restorative procedure cost out of pocket?
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic otitis media

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
The patient is suffering from Chronic otitis media. It is completely curable with surgery. The perforation can be operated. The hearing loss if conductive in nature which is caused by tympanic membrane perforation is recoverable.
The cost caries from place to place for the surgery.
The ear needs to dried off secretions with proper antibiotic treatment before the surgery.
Advise him to keep the ear dry and plug them while taking a bath.
Put ciprofloxacin ear drops three times a day to help it dry.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription.
Get a pure tone audiometry done to see the type and amount of hearing loss.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj