Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

127 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can chronic perforation with hearing loss be treated?

Answered by
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 1391 Questions

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am sponsoring a young man in Kenya. His reports say he may have a chronic TM perforation, and is now complaining of moderate gradual hearing loss. He tells me his ears occasionally drain. He longs to be a civil rights attorney helping women and children in Kenya. Is there any treatment for chronic perforation with hearing loss? If I brought him to the states, with no insurance, how much would a restorative procedure cost out of pocket?
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic otitis media

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
The patient is suffering from Chronic otitis media. It is completely curable with surgery. The perforation can be operated. The hearing loss if conductive in nature which is caused by tympanic membrane perforation is recoverable.
The cost caries from place to place for the surgery.
The ear needs to dried off secretions with proper antibiotic treatment before the surgery.
Advise him to keep the ear dry and plug them while taking a bath.
Put ciprofloxacin ear drops three times a day to help it dry.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription.
Get a pure tone audiometry done to see the type and amount of hearing loss.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Take care
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Audiometry

doctor1 MD

Hi, Since past 7 months I am experiencing Tinnitus in my right ear with partial hearing loss. Though I have consulted many doctors & taken advised medication for the same (no cancer detected in Brain MRI, Audiometry Tests show almost 60% hearing loss, Complemina Retard continued for almost 3 months), yet the problem still persists. I do not feel any nausea / headache / dizzy / anything else. I wanted to know if this is curable at all and if so then what are kinds of treatments options available ? Thanks in advance. Regards, Nitin

doctor1 MD

i am bank employee aged 52 years. i had severe migrain problem and consumed quite dosage of vasograin. my left ear hearing capacity has reduced a lot. audiometry results shows 40% loss. bioicobal forte inj is suggested of 3 doses of 2 ml. how this injection helps in reducing hearing loss

doctor1 MD

My 83 year old father has hearing loss. His test results show :

Impedence audiometry : 'A' type tynup with NR

Audiological Interpretation : Right ear - medsev,

Left ear - Mod SN HL

He is very confused on the type of hearing aid to be used. Can you reccommend?

doctor1 MD

The problem of ear clogging and pain started whenever I used cell phone for a long duration for an hour or so . Now my ear starts clogging even when the just pick up the cell phone and hear a sound. Of late I feel my ears clogg also when I talk over the landline . This was not the case earlier. My audiometry results show normal only a slight abnormality in the left ear but otherwise my ears are healthy per ENT doctor . Please advise

doctor1 MD

I ve been having some dizziness . The most powerful incident was while driving about a month ago and the whole visual field of the road and trees were spinning sideways like after a hangover. I haven t had a hangover in 35 years and do not...

doctor1 MD

What surgical options exist for a severe autophony problem in the right ear ? I have been seeing an ENT doctor for the past year, and had consults with two inner ear specialists this year, and all they keep telling me is to get a hearing aid...

doctor1 MD

I have a feeling of being in a tunnel. my ears feel like they need to pop but won't and I can hardly hear people on the phone. what is the best over the counter medicine to take. YYYY@YYYY