• question-icon

    How can chronic anal itching be treated?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am 56 years old male. Have been suffering with severe anal itch for last three years. It causing tightining of skin and whlie passing motion the is getting stretched . Due to this I am having added problem of severe pain deep inside also. Initial stool becomes very dry and hard. Even pain develops in urine passage. I was advised to use Diprovat G and doxy cycline 500 for 30 days. It has also not worked. May i request for some effective medical advise.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
anal itch needs some changes

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query on HCM

I do understand your concern

“As” per your clinical history is concerned you can do following things may help-:

1)Wash the area immediately after bowel movements and do not use toilet paper for few days now until your itch controls.

2)After bowel movement dry the area with a hair dryer and apply [corn starch powered]

3)Scratching further irritates your skin and leads to persistent inflammation. If you can not tolerate the itching, apply a cold compress to the area or take a warm bath.you can also apply steroid cream [hydrocortisone] and ointment containing [Zinc oxide]. You can also apply little [aloe vera] gel to anus.

4)Wear cotton underwear and loose clothing

5)Try to avoid irritants like genital deodorants, foods like coffee and cola

6)If soft stools or frequent bowel movements are a problem gradually add natural fiber supplements in diets and drink more than 10 glass of water to avoid constipation.

Start these changes and I hope your problem will be resolved very soon.

Thanks and wish you a good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 16 hours later
Good Morning, Thanks a lot Doctor,
I have earlier used Hydrocotisone cream and Zinc cream for almost 20 days one year back. There was improvement initially, but the problem became severe again. It seems infection is very severe. Pain and burning sensation is severe inside.
May I request you to finally advice to get rid of the problem permanently.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need a Physical examination for Pruritus ani

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up questions

“As” per your questions use medications as suggested and do take prevention as written. Regarding infection if you suspect to a digital clinical examination by your local doctor to rule out any pathology present inside and in my opinion [Ceftriaxone 250 mg intramuscular (IM) as a single dose PLUS azithromycin 1 gm orally as a single dose] will be the best choice and it will clear all bacterial infections. You may add one anti fungal medication [fluconazole-150mg]as a single dose for any fungal infection.So all medications are available only upon doctor's prescription so discuss with your family doctor about it. Do check your STOOL for any intestinal parasites ova present or not.

Hope this will cover all aspects, if you have any doubts let me know and I will clarify it.

Thanks, and wish you a good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by
Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1969

Answered : 2462 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Severe pain

doctor1 MD

Hi, My husband has pus filled pimples in the backside of his head. He has very oily hair. We have observed that they come up whenever he has sweets...

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work...

doctor1 MD

I have a severe pain in my right arm, actually in the muscle, upper arm... also started as a long standing fibromyalgia pain for years in shoulder...

doctor1 MD

If I might have had a heart attack 4 nights ago, should I go to emergency now? I have an appointment to see my doctor in 3 weeks. I'm 52 yr old...

doctor1 MD

Hello, my dr. Is out of of office for next week. Medical imaging called me to tell me that they picked up a 22 mm cyst on my left ovary . And a...

doctor1 MD


doctor1 MD

Hello, my name is Michael Boswell. I am a 22 year old part-time student living with my mother. I am writing because I have been to one...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

195 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo
  • Q - What do the following blood test reports indicate?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for chronic cough and lump in the throat

  • Q - Suggest a carbohydrate consistent diet

  • Q - What causes burning sensation in the stomach and diarrhea?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for redness in the eye and headache

  • Q - What causes constant ringing noise in the ears and poor vision?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe leg pain while on Advil

  • Q - Suggest treatment for intracranial lesion

  • Q - Suggest treatment for Alzheimer's disease

  • Q - What does presence of yellow substance on the penis head indicate?