• question-icon

How can chronic anal itching be treated?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am 56 years old male. Have been suffering with severe anal itch for last three years. It causing tightining of skin and whlie passing motion the is getting stretched . Due to this I am having added problem of severe pain deep inside also. Initial stool becomes very dry and hard. Even pain develops in urine passage. I was advised to use Diprovat G and doxy cycline 500 for 30 days. It has also not worked. May i request for some effective medical advise.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
anal itch needs some changes

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query on HCM

I do understand your concern

“As” per your clinical history is concerned you can do following things may help-:

1)Wash the area immediately after bowel movements and do not use toilet paper for few days now until your itch controls.

2)After bowel movement dry the area with a hair dryer and apply [corn starch powered]

3)Scratching further irritates your skin and leads to persistent inflammation. If you can not tolerate the itching, apply a cold compress to the area or take a warm bath.you can also apply steroid cream [hydrocortisone] and ointment containing [Zinc oxide]. You can also apply little [aloe vera] gel to anus.

4)Wear cotton underwear and loose clothing

5)Try to avoid irritants like genital deodorants, foods like coffee and cola

6)If soft stools or frequent bowel movements are a problem gradually add natural fiber supplements in diets and drink more than 10 glass of water to avoid constipation.

Start these changes and I hope your problem will be resolved very soon.

Thanks and wish you a good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 16 hours later
Good Morning, Thanks a lot Doctor,
I have earlier used Hydrocotisone cream and Zinc cream for almost 20 days one year back. There was improvement initially, but the problem became severe again. It seems infection is very severe. Pain and burning sensation is severe inside.
May I request you to finally advice to get rid of the problem permanently.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need a Physical examination for Pruritus ani

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up questions

“As” per your questions use medications as suggested and do take prevention as written. Regarding infection if you suspect to a digital clinical examination by your local doctor to rule out any pathology present inside and in my opinion [Ceftriaxone 250 mg intramuscular (IM) as a single dose PLUS azithromycin 1 gm orally as a single dose] will be the best choice and it will clear all bacterial infections. You may add one anti fungal medication [fluconazole-150mg]as a single dose for any fungal infection.So all medications are available only upon doctor's prescription so discuss with your family doctor about it. Do check your STOOL for any intestinal parasites ova present or not.

Hope this will cover all aspects, if you have any doubts let me know and I will clarify it.

Thanks, and wish you a good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo