Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

How can bone infection in ankle at site of fracture be treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12746 Questions
Hi Sir,
My Father K.Ramaiah(48) met with an acceident in 2005, At that time his leg was factured,we took him to some so called best hospitals in Guntur(AP).
They have fixed some screws in my dad's leg and they have stopped blood bleeding, after some time they have removed those screws
and we felt the facture was cured.suddenly few days later my dad was feeling too much pain at his ankle where the fracture took place,
so then we went to the hospital enquirying about his leg condition.At that time the doctor said "it will not be cured because infection has been came to your dad's bone",and they said there will be a wound at ankle through out his life time to bring the blood waste from the bone.

My dad dont have any bad habits like drinking or smoking even he is not a patient of Diabetis. He dont have sugar too.

He is Physically fit till the Accident took place and now also he dont have any problem other than this pain.Now he is able to walk and do the work but he is feeling pain if he walks few meters of distance.

I have red so many articles about this Bone infections where they said it is curable so kindly let me know wheteher it is curable or not.

Thanks in advance
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.

The prognosis of bone infection- osteomyelitis depends on what kind of infection the bone has got. Are there any open or discharging sinuses?

Since the infection is there for more than five years I presume that it is a chronic infection. The cause of pain in the absence of any fever or discharging sinus or active infection can be a post traumatic arthritis.

First of all you now need to have a culture and sensitivity testing of the secretions coming out from the bone to know the infecting organism according to which a vigorous parenteral antibiotic treatment is needed to combat the infection.

Once the active infection is controlled then only the secondary symptoms like pain while walking are taken care of.

You must have a second opinion from an orthopaedic surgeon with all the available X-rays of the joint both before and after the surgery.

There is no substitute for direct visual examination in such complicated cases.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can bone infection in ankle at site of fracture be treated ? 22 hours later
Hi Mam,

Thanks for your quick reply.

The wound at the ankle is is small wound which is disappearing for one or 2 months if we use tablets and after two to three months it is starting at some other place at the ankle. Now a days nothing is coming out of the wound.The area around the wound is red in color. Recently we have taken MRI scan for that Bone infection in which we have seen the infection has been came at the position where the screw has been placed initially at the time of surgery.

The doctor has told the infection as chronic astma(not sure whether it is astma or something bcoz i forgot the name).

So kindly give us what kind of surgery will be required for this type of infection.


Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

What you are saying is small discharging sinuses are present due to the infection.

To clear off the infection from the bone, bone resection is the only way out.

The dead pieces of bone and infected part with poor blood supply need to be removed and margins need to be freshened.

This can be done by your orthopaedician after assessing the amount of dead bone present in the area.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can bone infection in ankle at site of fracture be treated ? 1 hour later
Hi Mam,

Your answer is really helpful maam.

The doctor whom we have consulted recently told us he will put some fresh flush at the infected area from another part of body by cleaning the infected area.But he did not guarantee it will be cured 100%. Maam if you dont mind could you please suggest me an orthopaedician in hyderabad.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 54 minutes later

Thanks for writing once again.

To find a good specialist nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor.

You can search for a doctor in your area at WWW.WWWW.WW

One of our customer care executives will assist you further in finding a good
doctor ( YYYY@YYYY ).

Thanks again for the query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor