How can bilirubin level be reduced?

Posted on Mon, 13 Oct 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: what should i do to lower and BILIRUBIN , my total bilirubin is 19.5 , pls let me know what should i do to lower it as soon as possible .
Answered by Dr. Muhammed Aslam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,welcome to HCM forum.

You have not mentioned about the diagnosis you were told.I guess you was suffering from acute viral hepatitis-A.

During recovery period from hepatitis, liver enzymes(SGPT/SGOT) become normal first, followed by bilirubin.
Resolution of liver injury is assessed based on liver enzymes level and coagulation studies, and not from bilirubon level. As your liver enzymes and coagulation studies are normal, you need not worry-there is no ongoing liver inflammation, and it is on the way to full recovery. Bilirubin levels do not correlate with degree of liver injury or resolution.

Rise in bilirubin is caused by blockage of biliary radicles due to inflammation. So it will take few weeks for bilirubin to return to normal level. This need not be worried.
You are already given UDILIV300 for reducing bilirubin. No need of any extra medications.

Meanwhile, take a healthy diet rich in fruits and veges, reduce oily/fatty items.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing for a faster and complete recovery.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Muhammed Aslam 15 minutes later
Thanks A lot , Can i workout in the GYM or go to work ?
Answered by Dr. Muhammed Aslam 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No gym for 2 months

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,

Hepatitis puts a heavy toll on our overall health,and it will take around 6-8 weeks for full recovery.During this period,adequate rest and a healthy diet is of paramount importance.Otherwise,it will cause delayed and incomplete recovery.

So,definitely you cannot go for gym for a minimum of 6,and preferably 8 weeks.
Regarding work,it will depend on the type of work you are doing-if it is just an office work,you can start after 3-4 weeks;if it needs physical exertion,you have to wait still more.

Hope you got cleared now.
If you have no further questions,you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Muhammed Aslam