Owl Image

What causes dark urine while treating flu?

Owl Image
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Question
Yes please.For 4 days I've had the flu and I've been consuming pepto-Bismol. This morning and evening my urine has been a dark color -almost dark tan-lightish rootbeer color. This along with baby asprin(didn't have regular asprin). I haven't eaten except for chicken soup tonight.And only 7up. This is scaring me since I'm planning a hip operation this month. Can you help me please?
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be a liver related pathology.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.
Change in color of urine is usually related with liver and metabolisation of bile.
Your flu like symptom could also be suggestive of some infection in liver.
Few tests should be done initially-
1)Urine routine and microscopy.
2)Serum direct indirect an total bilirubin.
3)Liver function tests.
If possible ultrasound abdomen should also be done.
Follow up with reports!