How can a pancreatic cyst be treated?

Posted on Wed, 12 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Please advice the Best Treatment for the Stomach Problem is the Surgery the Last Option
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gall stone - Pancreatitis - Cyst

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern for your disease.
1) What is present situation of patient in term of fever, pain, diet intake, medication (injection or oral tablets)?
2) Is patient hospitalized or taking treatment at home?
3) When patient has developed first episode of abdominal pain?
4) What are other reports about blood tests?

Answers to these questionnaires are essential to guide you properly in management of pancreatic cyst.
I will be able to answer more precisely based on these.
Hoe you understand.
Have a nice day!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 15 hours later
Dear Sir,

Pl find the point wise answer of asked questionnaires :

1 Fever not coming , having pain little always and occasionally it increase, not taking full diet, being taken little bit 3-4 times in a day, medicine being taken prescription attached for reference.

2 Patient is not hospitalized now and taking advised medicine at home.

3 First abdominal pain had felt on 23 Dec`16

4 The Other reports about blood tests and CT Scan are attached herewith.

Hope these reports will help in guiding me.
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pancreatitis related cyst require surgery after 4 weeks

Detailed Answer:
1) According to your explanation, patient has recurrent attacks of pancreatitis from which cyst was developed and this cyst is enlarging over period of time. Presently there is no pancreatitis as per history.
2) Cyst associated with symptoms (early satiety, decreased appetite, abdominal pain), cyst size 10cm or more will require intervention.
3) Intervention does not mean to have surgery always. If facility is available then patient can undergo endoscopic USG guided drainage of cyst and formation of artificial small connection between stomach and cyst through endoscope.
4) If such high level facility is not available then patient might need surgery with same intention of creation of communication between stomach and cyst.
5) Purpose of creation of such communication is to drain cyst content into stomach all time (this content contains pancreatic juices which is helpful in digestion)
6) Generally, any intervention for cyst is not recommended for first 4 weeks from first episode of pain. And it is highly recommended to have repeat CT scan abdomen with contrast and also MRCP before any intervention.

Hope I answered your query, If you have any further doubts, I would be happy to help you.
Have a nice day!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Gastroenterologist, Surgical