Can placing pancreatic stents cause abrasive particles to form in stools?

Posted on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had my gall bladder removed 11 years ago I suffered from pancreatitis since then. In Feb. Of this year a cat scan showed a cyst on the pancreas the first attempt by the Dr to place a stint failed. The second try succeed with the use of secretion. Since then my bowel movements have been very soft. Is that norma? lRecently my bowel movements have contained abrasive particles like grit. I wandered if it might be particles from a stone? I have had what I think is an IUD for the last two weeks. Can the two be related? I see my medical Dr. This Tuesday. Is there anything I should
do till then?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not likely to be related.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. To be able to answer your question I would need you to upload the report of CAT Scan or Ultrasonogram of your abdomen. This is to get an estimate of whether calculi are involved and the exact nature of the pancreatic cyst. If you have small stones and sludge (? where, as the gall bladder has already been removed) it could be possible for it to come out with stool. But even in such a case it is highly unlikely that the grit like particles in your stool are from such a cause. Rather, they are more likely to be remnants of the undigested food matter in the stool. In short, there is possibly no relation between the two things you mentioned.

I could not correlate what you asked about IUD (is it an intra uterine device that you are talking about?). Could you please elaborate?

I would await your response. Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha