How can a boil on the thigh be treated?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello Expert
My 3 years old son XXXX is having boil in his right thigh.
Can you please suggest some treatment. I am attaching image?
We are observing this from last 2/3 days. I believe it is mosquito bite that was rubbed by him.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Insect bite

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and have checked the attached image. It does not seem to be due to mosquito bite. It could be due to tick bite or some other insect bite. I would insist you to:
* Apply calamine lotion topically
* Some antibiotic ointment like mupirocin can also be applied
* Take some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for next few days
* In case there is fever, be sure to visit a doctor at the earliest. Else, be patient.

Feel free to write back.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 48 hours later
Doctor Thanks for your advice...
we get boil diagnosed by our pediatrician and he diagnosed it as abscess.
He is also having cold and fever so he put him on antibiotics.
For abscess he asked us to apply Su-Mag with cotton and strap. We are doing it from last two days. It is quite painful for him.
It is still red and pus is yet to form. What do you say? How many days normally it take to heal or at least burst?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Apply mupirocin

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

An abscess is a collection of pus. If pus is yet to form, it is not an abscess. It could be a boil which may occur due to bacterial infection and application of mupirocin should suffice. Due to the fever your doctor has prescribed antibiotics. It may take 3-5 days (or less) for the boil to develop pus and burst.

Yes, You can apply the Su-mag ointment.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 13 hours later
Thanks for your response.
Pediatrician asked us to meet a surgeon and get abscess drained. Otherwise it might get complicated.
Should I consult surgeon or wait for 3/4 more days to get it drained naturally with the help of Su-Mag that we are applying.
Thanks
XXXX
Brief Answer:
Visit a surgeon.

Detailed Answer:
You told that pus is yet to be formed. If that is the case, a surgeon hardly has a role to play. If pus is there, the surgeon can drain it. Overall, you can see a surgeon without delay and get the condition evaluated. I would not suggest waiting.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy