Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

How can I get the inflamed skin of my penis treated?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
hi, i am XXXXXXX
i am facing problem with my penis skin on its forehead.
it gets very tight. and has splits when i tried to pull it, and inflames too when i urinate.
it happened twice before, but was over within a week with normal skin, and it has happened again.
so what is it and what should i do?
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 49 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. From the symptoms you have described it looks like balanoposthitis which is causing scarring and narrowing of the meatal stricture and phimosis skin which further causes difficulty and pain to retract the foreskin to expose the tip of the penis.

Balanoposthitis is inflammation of the foreskin and the glans. Usually it is caused by poor hygiene in uncircumcised men and sometimes it is caused by bacterial or fungal infection of the skin. Obesity plays an important cause and secretions under the prepuce may become infected with anaerobic bacteria, resulting in inflammation.

You should get it examined from a dermatologist and get some tests done. These include KOH examination of the skin scrapings (to rule out fungal infection), bacterial culture of the secretions under the prepuce, blood sugar levels and maybe a skin biopsy.

Treatment depends on the cause and if it is infection then antibiotics or antifungals (topical and oral) may suffice.

Till the time you consult a dermatologist, follow these treatment options:

1)     Clean the penis and the foreskin with warm water by gently retracting the foreskin. Avoid using force and retract only to the point where resistance is met.

2)     Avoid wearing tight fitting clothing like jeans and underwear made from synthetic fibre.

3)     Remove wet or damp bathing suits immediately after swimming.

4)     Avoid douching, perfumed soaps, bubble baths and toiletries.

5)     Change underwear daily, wash them in hot water (to destroy fungi) and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent).

6)     Eat healthy nutritious food and drink plenty of fluids. Also sleep for at least 6 hours in a day.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor