How can Ceftriaxone be administered into the body?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Cancer
Question: (1) If a patient has suspected sepsis and is administered ceftriaxone 1g then does it make any difference with regard to efficaciousness if the antibiotic is administered rapidly into a canulla, administered by slow drip or administered intra muscularly? (2) Typically, how long does it take to administer IV ceftriaxone 1g by slow drip (rougly how many minutes)? (3) If a patient needs to be on a saline solution for sepsis to avoid dehydration then are there any potential problems in adding the ceftriaxone to the saline solution at the same time?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
short IV push is preferred

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Ceftriaxone is recommended to be administered as short IV push injection or intramuscular. There is not much difference in efficacy but higher doses are usually given IV as intramuscular would require too many pricks. It is not required to give ceftriaxone in a slow drip in 50-100 ml saline over 1/2 to 1 hr but it can surely be given like that. No difference in efficacy is expected.

In IV push it has to be given over 2-5 min.

Giving ceftriaxone in IV fluids over 4-6 hr has not been studied and hence not recommended.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 30 hours later
Thank you kindly Dr. XXXXXXX for your very clear and informative answers. May I ask one more related question? If it is not recommended to add ceftriaxone to a saline solution then could an IV administration of ceftriaxone and IV fluids be administered SEPARATELY at the same time? Or would it be unusual or ridiculous to use two different canulla at the same time?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes it would be unnecessary

Detailed Answer:
The usual practice is to continue the IV fluids as required and at the time of ceftriaxone administration to stop it, give the injection as short IV push and then restart the IV fluids.

This can be done by a three way connector so that no tubing has to be removed.